Cleaning your oven can be done in numerous ways. Many ovens have a self-clean feature, which can give off quite a bad smell or you could simply roll your sleeves up and do it yourself. The easiest method that gets the best results would be to call the professionals such as ourselves, but for now were going to tell you how you can do it yourself.
Using baking soda, water and white vinegar is the safest oven cleaning method if you want to try it yourself. No harsh chemicals, high-heat auto-cleaning processes setting off smoke detectors, just a few ingredients and some good old fashioned elbow grease. The inside of your oven is probably a lot dirtier than you’d like to admit so lest get started.
Oven Cleaning Video
What You Will Need
- Baking soda
- Rubber gloves
- Damp dish cloth
- Plastic or silicone spatula
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
WARNING: Be sure to use rubber gloves while you clean to avoid skin irritation.
- Remove all oven racks and loose bits of food and other items, then check its completely empty.
- Scrape out any burnt in spilt food using a plastic or silicone spatula. There may be quite a lot but try to remove as much as you can.
- Mix a paste using ½ cup (170 g) of baking soda and 3 tablespoons (14.8 mL) of water in a small container.
- Spread the paste inside of the oven by hand while wearing rubber gloves. Avoid getting the paste on the the heating elements.
- Leave the paste on overnight for at least 12 hours. 40 minutes should be enough if you don’t have much time but it will require more effort to scrub.
- Using warm water and a damp cloth to wipe off the paste, some areas might need to be firmly scrubbed of the paste and grime is stubborn. Use a spatula if necessary.
- Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle and coat the areas where residue remains from the paste. The vinegar will cause the baking soda to foam up, don’t worry this is quite normal.
- Use the damp cloth again to wipe off the foamy areas of the oven. Use more vinegar if any residue remains and then wipe off again.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the oven racks and pour or spray white vinegar onto the racks. The baking soda will begin to foam again, what that happens drop the racks into a tub or sink of hot water. Allow the racks to soak in the water overnight for 12 hours.
- Dry the oven racks and place them back in the oven.
- You might need to repeat the process again if you cannot get the oven completly clean.
- Pour 1/8 cup (236.6ml) of liquid dish soap into the mixture if baking soda and water alone doesn’t work.
Oven Cleaning is Very Time and Labour Intensive
Of course as you can see cleaning your own oven is quite a lengthy process that will require lots of effort. You could instead call a professional such as ourselves to do all the hard work for you. You will then be free to spend the time you save doing something more enjoyable.